Russian President Putin Scraps RIA Novosti


RIA Novosti Headquarters.jpg
RIA Novosti Headquarters


(Moscow, Russia)

The Kremlin announced Monday the dissolution of RIA Novosti, the country’s major state-run news agency, amid a significant reorganization of state-owned media assets.

News agency RIA Novosti and the state-owned Voice of Russia radio will be scrapped and absorbed into a new media conglomerate called Rossiya Segodnya, according to a decree signed by President Vladimir Putin.

The move is the latest in a series of shifts in Russia’s news landscape, which appear to point toward a tightening of state control in the already heavily regulated media sector.

Apparently, the shutdown of RIA Novosti, which 'must be carried out by the government within three months,' came as a surprise to the workers.

Posted by: MikeJPechar at 04:37 AM

Comments

1 Greetings:

But "RT" (nŽe Russia Today) is still okay, right ??? I'd hate to have to go through the day without those looney tunes.

Posted by: 11B40 at December 10, 2013 11:50 AM

2 Lots of Media worldwide are governed by fear of the Government in charge.
Near and far.

Posted by: obsidian at December 10, 2013 12:15 PM

3 Like 90% here in America, obsidian? Well, not actually the government. Only that part of government that hates America. That would be the democrat and republican part. The other 10% is controlled by soros.

Posted by: EROWMER at December 10, 2013 12:32 PM

4 Glorious Leader only needs to put up with some AM radio and some internet blogs.
Putin might have just encouraged him to shut that little dissent down.

Posted by: Kafiroon at December 10, 2013 12:48 PM

5 I plan to pull the plug on Fox shortly into my 3rd term.

Posted by: BRONCO BAMA at December 10, 2013 01:22 PM






Processing 0.0, elapsed 0.0036 seconds.
15 queries taking 0.0025 seconds, 13 records returned.
Page size 7 kb.
Powered by Minx 0.7 alpha.